On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:30:47 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. in
gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> --nextPart4349252.rWh3h2apeg
>
> In <slrnh8683n.531....@laptop.sweetpig.dyndns.org>, S. Fishpaste wrote:
>>In a normal laptop/workstation GUI environment few applications are as
>>important as a web browser (especially these days). A web worker for
>> example relies on a web browser pretty heavily. Not everyone using Debian
>> is using it on a server, you know. ;-)
>
> I have been quite happy with the Konqueror in Squeeze along-side the=20
> IceWeasel in Lenny and I use a web-browser for work every day.  I can=20
> understand the desire to update if IW fails to render some page you require=
>=20
> for work.  I think most users should be able to work with the Debian-
> supported version in Lenny.

Well yes and no. There are *significant* speed increases in the FF 3.5 branch.

Kongi is OK, it's using webkit now FWIU. So, it and Chrome should be
similar. I have to admit to being partial to Chrome. I like it's
minimalistic approach, extension support is coming along nicely and will be
in the Linux version soon. I do have Google Chrome running excellent (it's
quite faster than it was in Windoze XP-Pro which was on this laptop until
just recently.

I don't run Gnome or KDE as my laptop is rather ancient, circa 2001. So no
Konqueror (It's my "netbook").  I'm using Icewm and finding it to be nice
and light.

I used XFce back in the day, now it seems bloated and slow on this P3. I've
also heard it has a nasty memory leak; but Icewm has survived, as I remember it.

Yeah, Iknow I could install some KDE libs to be able to use Kongi, but
presently my system partition is 60% full (remember oldish laptop, smaller
HDD) so I think it's full enough. ;-)

> If you find a bug in stable/testing/unstable/experimental (like a web page=
>=20
> that doesn't render properly, or a plug-in that breaks), you should really=
>=20
> file a bug so that Debian can backport a fix once the Mozilla team produces=
>=20
> one.

O OK.

Cheers.