> All these -1 values look odd/wrong to me.  Note how on my system that
> debian-multimedia has a priority of 500, equal to that of ftp.us.debian.org.
>  That could be your problem.

Thanks. After I simply deleted my /etc/apt/preferences file (it is not
installed by default on a vanilla debian installation, so I thought it
should be safe) everything started working again. I suppose I did some
modifications there a couple of months ago while I was trying to get
flash to work but didn't really understand what I was doing and
created a malfunctioning preferences file, that I later forgot about.

Thanks to everyone who contributed in helping me with this issue!

--
Regards,

Thomas Anderson
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur"