Hi, raman:

On Friday 14 August 2009 06:15:03 raman narasimhan wrote:
> We have a networks lab at our college that has a fully configured windows
> network. Now we are completely changing to linux. All systems in the lab
> have been installed with Debian/Ubuntu. We have configured NIS server in
> one of the Debian machines. And NIS client in the remaining machines. But
> the problem is that though all Debian clients can login into the NIS
> server, login into the Debian Server from Ubuntu clients is not possible.
> Surprisingly we found out that we couldn't ping the Ubuntu machines from
> the Debian Server and vice versa.

Provided both Debian and Ubuntu clients are in the same network segment, have
a look at the firewall configuration on the Ubuntu systems.  On the other
hand, what do you exactly mean by "login"?  Something like 'ssh
someu...@server.example.com' from the clients? (I doubt any kind of local
firewall would prevent outgoing ssh connections).

> We are new to networking in LINUX. We searched on the Internet and found a
> few pages that advice to disable IPV6. Even that didn't work.

Well, IPv4 is easierly understood, so it make sense take away as much problem
sources as possible.  How did you disable IPv6?  How did you know IPv6 was in
fact disabled?

PS:  You know that NIS is an unsecure protocol only to be used if you are
absolutly convinced you are tightly controlling all the clients that can
attach to the network, do you?  The roughly equivalent to an AD-based Windows
network, security and functionality-wise, would be LDAP+Kerberos+NFSv4 (plus
a whole lot of other "minor" services like DNS, DHCP, automounters, cups,
puppet, a local CA, etc.).