On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Andrew
Sackville-West<and...@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> I've had rdiff-backup fail because of mis-matched versions. Again, not
> to belabor the obvious, but do you have compatible versions of
> rdiff-backup on each machine? If you have compatible (i.e., the same)
> versions on both ends and still have problems, then perhaps you should
> file a bug report.

I'm well aware of those problems, so I don't even bother to use
rdiff-backup over the network. That mode is next to useless unless you
can guarantee the same versions, and tbh, it sucks compared to rsync
for network transfers.

How I use rdiff-backup is like this:

1) Make a temporary snapshot copy of the rdiff-backup repo (minus the
rdiff-backup-data directory), using hardlinks.

2) rsync from the source server over to the temporary copy

(this should be safe, since rsync doesn't overwrite files in place
unless you tell it to)

3) Run rdiff-backup to push the latest temporary copy onto the
rdiff-backup history.

The above works fairly well for me, although rdiff-backup sometimes
gets confused about the hardlinks.

About filing a bug report, not sure how much that's going to help,
since the mailing list wasn't very informative. I get the idea that
the main developer has either abandoned the project, or is taking a
break for a few months (as evidenced by the recent bug tracker
activity, and the lack of useful replies in the mailing list).

David.