On 8/20/09, Andrei Popescu <andreimpope...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't run Ubuntu, so can't help here. I will have to do some
>  regression tests, by downgrading one (or as few packages as possible) at
>  a time. Unfortunately snapshots is down which makes it harder.

Since at release time Ubuntu is patched Debian sid, I feel that the
issue affects both distributions in a very similar way. Understanding
what happens in Ubuntu may help understand what happens in Debian.

Ubuntu 9.04 came with [1]:
libpam-ck-connector 0.3.0-2ubuntu3
consolekit 0.3.0-2ubuntu3
policykit 0.9-2ubuntu1

With the default distribution xfce shutdown/reboot worked just fine.

Up-to-date Ubuntu [2] has:
libpam-ck-connector (0.3.0-2ubuntu4)
consolekit (0.3.0-2ubuntu4)

It seems that policykit hasn't been updated. With the updated packages
the issue arose. Perhaps these PolicyKit.conf rules for Ubuntu would
work on Debian [3].

Hmm, I ain't very sure that all this is of any help.
Liviu
[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/allpackages
[2] http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty-updates/allpackages
[3] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-users/2009-June/001779.html