On 2009-08-20 11:44, Andrei Popescu wrote:
On 2009-08-17 12:20, Andrei Popescu wrote:
[snip]
<flame>
Fetchmail and Gmail both seem strange to me. Getting them to
actually work together must be a dark art :)
</flame>
What's so strange about fetchmail?

I admit this is uninformed, but it seems to me like fetchmail tries to be many things, but not particularly good at anything:

- it has a daemon mode reported to hang

Hang, really?  Glad I started out using it via cron.

- retrieves mail via POP3 and IMAP only to inject it back to SMTP

Sure, the locally-running MTA.

- ESR mentioned he wanted to make the configuration syntax easy. Apparently he made it so easy that a dedicated editor is needed

Sentence-like, which it is! But everyone speaks in different ways, especially ESLs.

I know fetchmail can be run from cron, deliver to an MDA (or directly) and the configuration can be written directly by a human, but I prefer getmail for that :)

Like I prefer fetchmail injecting mail into the local MTA, which also handles local mail.

--
Featuring GRATUITOUS ALIEN NUDITY