Emanoil Kotsev wrote:

Bernard wrote:

Emanoil Kotsev wrote:

Bernard wrote:

Compiling md in the kernel is the right approach to boot from raided root
without initrd. You can try this just skipping (deleteing the line in grub
temporary)

I just tried that. Raid compiled into the kernel instead of modules. No
initrd. Still crashes at boot.

most probably you are missing other modules (like ide/ata lvm etc)
You said your boot is on md but not on lvm. you can build a working initrd
easily - this is actually all you need.

Also done another test:
in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, replaced root=/dev/mapper/vg00-root by
/dev/sda2. Still crashed : "cannot open root device 'sda2' or unknown
block(0,0).

this can not work as your root is on lvm. what did you expect?

try passing the kernel option init=/bin/sh

There is another test that I would like to run, but I need help for
this, since I don't know the whole package list:

apt-get purge kernel-building gcc make kernel-utils etc...

then edit my /etc/apt/sources.list and comment out lines that refer to
package directories that are too recent, uncomment old lines referring
to debian sarge packages only, excluding 'testing' etc..

then

apt-get install kernel-building gcc make kernel-utils etc...

and, from there on, trying to recompile, not newer kernels, but my good
old running kernel 2.6.20-16-386 into a custom version without any sound
options in it.

What I need is the list of all packages that I should purge and
re-install in their former version.

regards

You really could use the recent 2.6.30.4. There were different problems with
2.6.20 to 2.6.30. I find 2.6.30.4 the best I've had since 2.6.20.
I tried 2.6.30.4. Same result as with 2.6.26.2 : compiles without errors, but crashes on boot.

So, what I would do (if I were you) is that I would download latest
2.6.30.4, and compile all I need to access my boot partition (as you
already did with md in the kernel),

I just did that again

then compile and rebuild or build by
hand initramfs.
Build by hand I pretty simple- it's actually hacking the one used. I do
unzip it
       cd /tmp; mkdir test; cd test
       zcat /boot/initrd....gz | cpio -Hnewc -i
The initrd.img that I have on my working system, as well as those initrd.img that 'mkinitrd' generates when requested, are not compressed files. Filenames are : initrd.img-2.6.20-16-386 for instance. No .gz behind. I still tried to gunzip one, just in case that would still be a compressed file without usual extension, but no, it is not handled by gunzip or zcat. I tried cpio on that file as is, but I got : 'cpio: premature end of file'. a 'vi filename' shows that this is a binary file. No point to edit then.

So, at this point, I don't have a clue of how to build an initrd.img file that would allow my newly compiled 2.6.30.4 kernel to boot on my system.

then edit init to match my needs i.e. depmod, modprobe, cryptsetup etc
and finally put a line to run the real init. I then zip it
       find . ! -name *~ | cpio -H newc --create | gzip -9 > ../test-initrd.gz
I can install then the new initrd (cp ../test-initrd.gz /boot/initrd....gz)

Once you've done it it's very simple and easy ... before it was a big
trouble for me too.

Just look positive as way to learn something new about your operating
system.

reagrds