On Tue,25.Aug.09, 12:42:46, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon,24.Aug.09, 13:51:14, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> > Lenny stable, here is the respective part of my menu.lst:
> >
> > title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-2-686
> > root            (hd1,0)
> > kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet
> > initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686
> >
> > I'm getting an error on boot that's related to the root (hd1,0) line:
> >
> > Filesystem type unknown, Partition type 0xde
> >
> > 0xde is a dell maintenance partition.  fdisk -l /dev/sdb returns the
> > following:
>
> What the booted system is not always entirely consistent to when boot is
> run from BIOS. Assuming you only have to disks in your system (you

Should have reread my mail before sending :( That should read:

"What you see in the already booted system is not always consistent to
what grub shows when it runs from BIOS."

> forgot to mention your disk/partition layout), what happens if you
> change that line into:
>
> root  (hd0,0)
>
> ?

That's still a valid question. BTW, when you are at the grub console (or
editing your boot stanza) you can use the tab-completion to figure out
the correct partition :) Try something like:

root    (hd[tab][tab]

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)