I don't use vlc, so I can't speak about it.  But the players that I do use,
mplayer and MythTV, both accelerate MPEG-2 via VDPAU.  Xine supports MPEG-2
via VDPAU.  XBMC supports VDPAU, but not for MPEG-2, for some reason.

Of course, VDPAU-enabled players are not yet in the Debian archives.  All of
the above mentioned players I build from source.  VDPAU is in the main
source tree for those players, so no patching is necessary.

One of my Linux boxes is a HTPC.  It's great to play full 1080p HD video
with almost no CPU usage (never more than 10%).

-- Kevin