On Mon,31.Aug.09, 15:59:08, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> My husband's box is currently running PCLinuxOS 2009.  A dying HDD
> necessitates a fresh istallation.
>
> ***I would be very grateful for help in speeding up the boot process, and
> suggestions for a suitable DE or WM.***

I'm running Xfce 4.6 from unstable and it doesn't seem more bloated to
me although it did gain some additional tools (which come in very handy
for my laptop).

As for speeding up the bootprocess:

# aptitude install dash
# dpkg-reconfigure dash # let it take over the /bin/sh link
# aptitude install insserv
# dpkg-reconfigure insserv
# echo "CONCURRENCY=shell" >> /etc/default/rcS

If you want to measure the increase use bootchart.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)