Alexander,

You probaly should look at:

www.about*debian*.com/*network*.htm

To the automatic network configuration works during installation you must
have cable on (link on network-card) and your network card must be know to
Linux (a.k.a properly modules loaded), may cards have support built-in a few
ones you must get from third-party (manufactor) install or compile.

You can look at /var/log/messages for notices about eth0 or other network
device.

Also, you must have a DHCP on network for automatic config work, sure.