I have an old generic laptop which has Slackware 10.1 installed. It has access to the Internet as well as to a small LAN. The machine it is connected via a hub to is my main desktop/ workstation which runs Debian testing. The CD-ROM drive in the laptop does not work. This is a hardware issue, so installation via CD is not feasible.

The laptop does have a couple of USB drive sockets, but I don't think that the BIOS is sufficiently modern to boot from a USB drive (the laptop was bought circa 2002 from a company that has since gone belly up).

What is the best method for getting this laptop up and running in the 21st Century with Debian testing?

Thanks for any ideas/ suggestions.

AG