On Thursday 17 September 2009 14:28:55 William Foster wrote:
> I've just downloaded Debian 5 "Lenny" (stable), and installed it on the
> second had drive on this secondary computer, where I have many linux disros
> installed. I quite Like it as a Linux distribution, but I was disappointed
> to find I could not install Iceape ( i.e. Seamonkey; my favorite
> web-browser ).
> On searching I found it had been effectively blocked/removed, due to a lack
> of volunteers to solve compatability problems.  To my surprise there is
> apparently very little call for it.

Yes, upstream has effectively abandoned it, and many users have been moving to
iceweasel[1].  It was removed from Lenny because it just wasn't release-
quality.

However, Debian has not abandoned iceape.  It is currently in Sid and if
enough work is done to it, it could migrate to Squeeze and be part of the next
Debian release.  You could contact the maintainer(s) listed
<http://packages.debian.org/sid/iceape> and see where you can help.  It might
be as simple as removing some of the bug-wrangling duties from their plate OR
testing new versions of the package.

[1] I know iceape has many features iceweasel doesn't, but it should be a good
replacement for the browser component.
b...@iguanasuicide.net                  ((_/)o o(\_))