--- On Wed, 9/30/09, Anthony Campbell <a...@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

> From: Anthony Campbell <a...@acampbell.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: X crashing after upgrade: urgent!
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 12:51 AM
> On 30 Sep 2009, mihkel wrote:
> >
> > Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum kirjutas:
> > > I am willing to downgrade X but dont know how to
> do this. Or if it will help.
> >
> > I had the same problem yesterday. In order to
> downgrade X, I booted to single
> > user mode, purged all X related packages, changed sid
> to testing in
> > /etc/apt/sources.list file and installed X again.
> > Since the problem appeared after upgrading
> xserver-common, xserver-xephyr and
> > xserver-xorg-core to version 1.6.4-1, I assume you
> really don't need to purge
> > all X related packages, just these three.
> >

> A lot of people seem to have been bitten by this one. It
> hit me
> yesterday on my Thinkpad Z61M (quite similar to the T60). I
> then
> remembered that I'd just upgraded xserver-common and
> xserver-xorg-core.
> Fortunately both earlier versions were still in the cache
> so I
> downgraded both (not being sure which was the culprit) and
> X came back
> to life. From another post on this list it seems it would
> be necessary
> to go back to lenny for an earlier version if you no longer
> have it in
> the cache.

Thank you to everyone who responded!!!

To solve this i remove xserver-common and xserver-xorg-core, swittched from Sid
back to Testing in my sources.list, and reinstalled.

And it worked right away (not counting another problem that was just my
stupidity).

Id say that its been working fine for me all along.
There have been a few times when Ive messed things up but this has always been
because i wasnt paying attention.
But on its own, Sid has been totally stable. And Ive sometimes wanted newer
packages....

My big mistake here was to upgrade right before a presentation. Otherwise i
would have been able to figure things out without panicing. And I should have
been able to figure this out anyway!!!

This time Im bringing an Ubuntu LiveCD with me, Just-In-Case.

Thanks again.

Jen