On Sun September 27 2009, Celejar wrote:
> I'm still not sure what's modifying your resolv.conf, but I'll point
> out that those dns-nameserver lines won't work without resolvconf.  The
> basic networking infrastructure doesn't provide any way to publish
> static nameserver information in the interfaces file, and those lines
> are for the resolvconf package (see its manpage).
>
> Also, I have occasionally had similar problems to yours, and the
> culprit, at least sometimes, was dhcp itself.  Running the dhcp client,
> or even a forgotten dhcp process in the background, can clear out your
> resolv.conf or fill it with improper values.

sorry for the late reply, I got the Flu Monday..
when I am setting up the router I had to switch to DHCP to access the modem.
when I stop & start eth0 ( changing resolv.conf to static) that doesn't stop
the DHCP process? do I need to run /etc/init.d/dhcpd stop also?
I didn't think about a dhcp process overwriting resolv.conf ! thanks!
I should probably check that BEFORE I reboot...

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800