On 20091011_100205, Neal Hogan wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 5:38 AM, Dean Chester
> <dean.g.ches...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've been asked to set up a network of between 6 and 10 computers, using
> > linux yet i don't know what to do. I've decided to allocate 2 as servers and
> > because we have to run our network with in another network so we are hoping
> > to run the 1 server as a copy of the other one just it will be sitting
> > outside of the firewall(not allowed to open other ports on the firewall) so
> > we can access documents at home, i'm thinking of running a webdav server to
> > do that part.. Now the main problem how would i go about configuring the
> > workstations to allow home directries on any computer so users do not have
> > to have specific computers and they can go in and use any freely avaliable
> > machine. I am open to another suggestions.
> > Thanks in advance
> > Dean
>
> I'm curious what you've looked at b/c there is a lot of info
> available. When I google 'debian networking' I get a bunch of (what
> looks to be) good stuff.
>
> As far as users having access to there home dirs from any machine, why
> not have them ssh into the server, where their home dirs are located.
> You can set up ssh to forward X packets (man ssh) and they can run a
> desktop on their local machine, but through the server.
>
> Just a thought . . .

Neal,
(and others who know something about an issue about
which there is a poorly worded question on this list)

Your answer is the sort of thing I would love to get
when I am confronted with a question about which there
is much too much data on the web. That two word search
string, with your assessment that a lot of the hits are
good is the sort of thing I can imagine OP will find
very reassuring.

Also, using ssh cuts through a lot of old verbal fog about
security that is left over on the web from long ago (in
internet time) before ssh became available.

Thank, for creating a good example.
--
Paul E Condon
pecon...@mesanetworks.net