On 20091011_190527, Mark Allums wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 07:28:29AM EDT, Mark Allums wrote:
>>
>>> The policy should be changed.
>>
>>> And don't tell me to use some Thunderbird extension of dubious
>>> provenance. I might not use Thunderbird, or I'm on Windows for email
>>
>> [..]
>>
>> I didn't follow this thread, so I'm not sure what you are referring to,
>> but are you requesting debian amend their mailing list policy to
>> accomodate M$ Windows users?
>>
>> CJ
>

> Well, in a manner of speaking, yes.  You don't have to be either a genius
> or a crackpot to be able to come up with reasonable situations where
> someone might be forced to use Windows for mail.  Why should they be made
> to suffer when everyone in the Wide Green World but Debian does it
> another, more reasonable way?
>
> Of course, I suspect I know your retort already, from the way you spell
> Microsoft.  Microsoft is somewhat evil, yes, but not all users of their
> products are.  Debian is about freedom, yes? not punishing the poor slobs
> who are stuck with Exchange (for instance) and have no recourse.
>
> In this, I feel I'm in the majority, here, of people who feel Debian is
> being a bit unnecessarily stubborn.
>
> If the devs need it set the way it is, with no munging the Reply-to
> header, then, fine.  Let them do that for the devs and maintainers.
> Compromise a little and set the user list the way users expect it.  No
> reason to necessarily make every list behave exactly the same.   Do
> what's best for each case.
>
> Mark Allums

Mark,

I lurk on this list a lot because I find the technical questions that
others pose to be things that I have wondered about, and the answers
to be clearly stated and authoritative. The limiting resource for this
list is the quality of the people who give these good answers. These
are not ordinary stumble bum yahoos that you find so many of on the
net. IMHO, they count for something. They are a resource that should
be nurtured.

I have seen occasions where a resource person also had something of a
attitude, but mostly they are intelligent, well informed, busy people
who are willing to help others. They have set up this list the way it
is, because, I suppose, it works for them this way. This way it
mitigates the exasperation they suffer. This is the way they want
it. If I were ever to gain the skill and knowledge that they have, I
might have become quite exasperated with the yahoos along the way, too.

I think your position is analogous to that of an American tourist in Paris
who gets all bent out of shape because everyone is talking in French and
pretending to understand each other. ;-)

--
Paul E Condon
pecon...@mesanetworks.net