On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Jack Schneider <p...@dp-indexing.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 03:31:36 +0200
> Tom H <tomh0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Jack Schneider

>> > Error: "The superblock could not be read or does not describe a
>> > correct ext2 file system..fsck died with exit status 8

>> > #   mount -a  gives :  wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
>> > dev/mapper/Speeduke-_swap,missing codepage or helper program, or
>> > other error  (plus some others that says it's not
>> > reading/recognizing /md1 )

>> > #  swapon -a  gives:
>> > swapon: /dev/mapper/Speeduke-_tmp: read swap header failed: Invalid
>> > argument

>> > #swapon /dev/mapper/Speeduke-_swap  (executes with out error)

>> > Note:  see http://pastebin.com/m7cc9da3d  for a view of what I've
>> > got in this system..

I am going to be at work for a while so I will not have a chance to
look at this closely for a few more hours.

>> (1) All the output in pastebin is when booted into 2.6.26-2, I assume
>> that the above mount and swapon are also when booted into 2.6.26-2.

> (1) No, Those are the responses I get when trying to boot into
> 2.6.30-X  and get to the "type root password for maintenance".

The first two lines of your pastebin are:

j...@speeduke:~$ uname -a
Linux Speeduke 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jun 21 04:47:08 UTC 2009
x86_64 GNU/Linux

so I am surprised.

>> (2) When you say that you cannot boot into 2.6.30-1 or 2.6.30-2
>> because of your swap partition, are you not booting at all into these
>> kernels or are you booting but swap is not mounting?

> (2)  When I try to boot into a 2.6.30-X kernel I get the repair promt.
> as in (1) what it complains about is fsck.ext3: Bad magic number etc...

OK. Thanks.

>> (3) When you say that you have migrated from etch to squeeze "without
>> undue problems", what do you actually mean?

> (3) I built this machine to run Debian as host for VirtualBox.
> Started with etch then etch & 1/2, lenny(testing), now squeeze(testing)
> using aptitude dist-upgrades.
> I had some expected Nvidia driver and gnome desktop glitches and some
> NetworkManager instability.  I never got Compiz working right...
> I have much cruft in /root (/md0) it's over 8 gigs of disk space
> and /var-/home-/tmp are on (/md1)...

OK, more or less.

>> (4i) Please post your grub.cfg.

> http://pastebin.com/m243acd1

Your grub.cfg looks OK at first glance. I would have thought that you
would have needed an "insmod lvm" but  I am still teaching myself
about grub2 so my assumption must be wrong.

>> (4ii) Please post fstab and, while booted into the kernel with the
>> mount and swapon output above, the following sequence:
>> swapoff -a
>> mount -a
>> swapon -s
>> swapoff -a
>> swapon -s

> I'll send (4ii) when I figure out how to get it.... 8-(

Sorry. I emailed you late and should probably have been in bed rather
than going through emails at 3am - and missed a line (a "swapon -a")
as a penultimate step. Please email the output of:

swapoff -a
swapon -a
swapon -s

Thanks and sorry...

> swapoff -a  gives> Speeduke prompt
> mount -a    gives> [  982.179.186] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on
> dev dm-0,
> mount: wrong fs type,bad option,bad superblock
> on /dev/mapper/Speeduke-_swap, missing codepage etc...
> mount: mount point /home/jack/XP_VDI does not exist
> (+  more similar)
> swapon -s   gives> Filename Type Size Used Priority (no other data)
> swapoff -a  gives> Speeduke prompt
> swapon -s   gives> (same as previous swapon -s)

It is difficult to reconcile "mount point /home/jack/XP_VDI does not
exist" with the output of "df -h" pastebin. Are any of your /dev/dm-x
mounted?

Please add the output of "mount" after the "swapon -s" above. Thanks.

There is another email from earlier today about initramfs and success
with 2.6.26 and problems with 2.6.30. The other OP's symptoms are
different but I do not believe coincidences.