16.10.2009 7:22, Tom H kirjoitti:
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Jeff Grossman<j...@stikman.com>  wrote:
I just upgraded by Testing system from Samba 3.3.4-1 to 3.4.2-1 yesterday
and now I am not able to connect my Windows Vista machine to my Debian
machine.  I have tried to Google for an answer and have not been able to
find anything.  Did something with authentication change between those two
versions that I missed somewhere?

From the release notes of 3.4.0:

The default passdb backend has been changed to 'tdbsam'! That breaks existing
setups using the 'smbpasswd' backend without explicit declaration! Please use
'passdb backend = smbpasswd' if you would like to stick to the 'smbpasswd'
backend or convert your smbpasswd entries using e.g. 'pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e
tdbsam'.

All right! I just received Samba 3.4.2 from Lenny backports, and Windows
stopped working.

I tried that 'pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam' and restarted Samba but no
joy. I then changed the 'passdb backend = smbpasswd' into smb.conf and
it works again.

However, smbpasswd passdb will be obsoleted some day, and I would like
to have a working tdbsam. I have no plans on implementing LDAP, as my
server is low on memory and I have only 2 SMB users.

Why did the pdbedit command did not work? I printed to screen several
Linux machine users (who do not use Samba) but not us real users who do
need Samba.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

Good day for a change of scene.  Repaper the bedroom wall.