On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 04:04:06PM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 Oct 2009, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 07:58:18AM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > >
> > > What I am less certain about is how I can cater for Wireless
> > > clients coming in over the WAP, who do really need dhcp allocated
> > > addresses.  My guess is that they would be requesting leases via
> > > some broadcasting mechanism, and that there is no way for the
> > > ethernet switch to prevent them going to the cable modem (and
> > > thence to my isp) and the dhcp server at my isp responding.
> > >
> > Alternatively, hardcode IPs for everything on that switch. You
> > can either hardcode IPs for your wireless devices, or run DHCP
> > on a separate subnet  there.
>
> I think that is the answer, limit the switch to have the cable modem,
> plug computer and existing cable router on it.  the "lan" side of that
> cable router will be where I connect everything else and can use dhcp
> with confidence there.
you are leaving yourself open for all sorts of problems, there is
nothing between your other computers and the internet.....

get the usb network dongle

--
"Free societies are hopeful societies. And free societies will be allies
against these hateful few who have no conscience, who kill at the whim of a

        - George W. Bush
09/17/2004
Washington, DC