On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 19:30 -0700, Brian C. Wells wrote:
[...]
> I also want to apologize for taking 4 days to respond.  I thought it
> would be best to wait until I had tried using the vacuum, but still
> haven't gotten around to it.  I don't have carpeted floors where I live,
> so I don't have easy access to one; but I'll try to borrow one tomorrow
> and let you know what happens.
[...]

Vacuuming brought the idle temperature down by 5C.  sauerbraten now runs
great at about 80C, but glchess/gnuchess still gets up to 95C or more!
I think this is caused by an already-reported bug in gnuchess [1] that
uses 100% CPU when run under an X interface.  (Just like the reporter,
I don't have the problem when I use gnuchess from the command line.)

Unfortunately, setting gconf /apps/gnome-power-manager/cpufreq/policy_ac
to "powersave" doesn't seem to eliminate the problem, either.  I guess
I'll just have to wait until the bug is fixed to play Chess normally. :(

Brian