On Monday 09 November 2009 10:37:29 Rick Pasotto wrote:
> Aptitude marks some packages with '{a}' meaning automatically (or is it
> aptitude?) installed

It is automatically installed.  While much of the software installation
process is always automated, this flag indicates that the package manager
pulled this software in as a dependency of some other software rather than
because the user specifically requested this.

> and some with '{u}' meaning user installed.

No.  '{u}' indicates that the package is "unused".  This means that the
package is both automatically installed, and there is currently no package
that depends on it installed.

Both apt-get and aptitude have a mode that removes all unused packages.  I
thought aptitude's default behavior was to remove these as well.
b...@iguanasuicide.net                  ((_/)o o(\_))