On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:08:58 -1000
Joel Roth <jo...@pobox.com> dijo:

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 02:41:59PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > I have installed VLC on my new installation of testing amd64. I
> > installed it from Synaptic.
> >
> > It runs fine, but the display is scrunched to the left one-quarter of
> > the screen.  Height is normal, though. Makes actors look really, really
> > skinny.
> >
> > It happens with every file type I have thrown at it, include commercial
> > DVDs, so it's not a problem with a certain kind of media. It also
> > continues scrunched up if I run it full screen.
> >
> > Totem works normally. In fact, I prefer Totem; I use VLC usually only
> > when a movie has subtitles. I have a hard time getting Totem to display
> > subtitles, but VLC just does it automatically.
> >
> > I have looked in all the settings and configurations and can't find
> > anything that appears wrong.
> >
> > Most recently I used it on Jaunty, where it worked fine. I replaced the
> > ~/.vlc folder with the one from Jaunty, but it changed nothing.
> >
> > Google hasn't offered any help so far. I'm stumped. Anyone have any
> > suggestions?
>
> I had this problem. Scrunched video, with loss of color.
> Posted about it on the VLC forum.
>
> The solution at the time was to delete my ~/.vlc
> directory.
>
> Now the vlc config files are in ~/config/vlc, and I have the same
> problem after some period of proper display. (Did I upgrade
> by accident?)
>
> Deleting these new config files and restarting VLC doesn't help.
>
> My error message is:
>
>       swScaler: Palette is not supported as output pixel format
>       [00000507] swscale scale error: could not init SwScaler
>       and/or allocate memory
>
> I just checked on the forum: closed, due to high traffic
> associated with 1.0.0 release.
>
> Please post if you find a solution.

I also discovered that all the VideoLan web pages are down. Most
annoying.

I forgot to say that my version is 1.0.2 Goldeneye.

And thanks very much for posting that. Even if you don't have a
solution, at least I know it's not my fault and I can quit poking at
it. It's good to know I am not alone.

Luckily I am not in a rush. I'll just wait until the VideoLan pages are
back and then watch the wiki and forums.