On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 11:41 PM, John Jason Jordan <joh...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:19:58 -0500
> Patrick Wiseman <pwise...@gmail.com> dijo:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Neal Hogan <nealho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > JJJ,
>> >
>> > You need to slow down.
>
>> I don't have an answer for the OP, but this (top-posted) "response" is
>> completely unresponsive, presumptuous, arrogant, unhelpful, dickish,
>> and possibly a reason why people who come to this forum for help
>> leave, pissed off.  Give the guy a break.  He has a perfectly
>> articulated and reasonable problem.  Maybe someone other than me or
>> Neal can actually offer him some help.
>
> Not to worry. Celejar just posted a solution. I don't have it working
> yet, but it looks very promising. And I can possibly use the methodlogy
> later in other situations.
>
> As for being offended, yeah, it is annoying when people post things
> like that, but I've been on e-lists and forums for ages with Linux. I'm
> a big boy now. I can take it. Besides, he really meant well.
>
> I should add that I currently have Debian testing almost to the point
> where my Jaunty installation was. I still have a couple apps to install
> and configure, and I need to migrate my printers, and my bluetooth
> mouse still isn't working. But I'm very close to having a very usable
> OS now. Moreover, I'm liking it a lot. Like wow! I'm riding on my own
> now without the Ubuntu training wheels!

To all those who think that my post was "completely unresponsive,
presumptuous, arrogant, unhelpful, dickish, and possibly a reason why
people who come to this forum for help leave, pissed off" let me say a
few of things

1) Posting your concern or your approval of such a concern is
self-refuting (plus it was top-posted, b/c it wasn't a direct response
to the OP's problem).
2) The OP seems to have appreciated the manner in which I sent it. I
suggested "taking off the training wheels" and the OP is starting to
do so.
3) The "help" was merely a pointier to a tutorial.

I wish John nothing but the best. If you were annoyed or offended,
then you miss the point. Using this list as your personal man
page/blog is not fair (yes, yes . . . refer to my first point ;-).