On Mon Nov 23, 2009 at 09:08:26 -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:

> Using Sid here, I suddenly cannot resolve DNS names normally. My web
> browsers, ping and dig do not work with names (ping works with an ip
> address), but sudo ping and sudo aptitude resolve normally and dig
> works as my user if I give it the ip address of the nameserver (e.g.
> dig @192.168.1.1 cnn.com). I am really confused by this one. Any
> ideas?

  The file /etc/resolv.conf contains the nameserver(s) to use
 for looking up names.

  If you can lookup names as root but not as a user I'd wonder if that
 file has had its permissions trashed.  I'd expect you should see
 something like this:

 ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 51 Nov 13 14:29 /etc/resolv.conf

  (That file should contain "nameserver 192.168.1.1" if that is
 indeed your working nameserver).

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/