Hi, Jason.

On 12/13/2009 10:24 AM, Jason Filippou wrote:
> ja...@debian:~$ sudo aptitude show faac
(...)
> ja...@debian:~$ soundconverter &
> [1] 3807
> ja...@debian:~$ SoundConverter 1.4.4
>   using Gstreamer version: 0.10.25, Python binding version: 0.10.17
>   using gio
>   'faac' element not found, disabling AAC.
>   using 2 thread(s)
> /usr/bin/soundconverter:2615: Warning: g_set_prgname() called multiple times
>   gnome.init(NAME, VERSION)
>
> [1]+  Done                    soundconverter

It seems that soundconverter is trying to use the gstreamer infra-structure to
do its job, not the faac program.

I'm not exactly sure if that would be a problem with the python bindings or with
any gstreamer problem, but some things that you might want to check:

* Do you have gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad installed?

* For this one, I'm not really sure, but does soundconverter need any python
bindings for AAC? I'm not really sure here (for Vorbis, you can see that there
are python-pyvorbis, python-vorbis and siblings, python-pymad for MP3 decoding,
python-lame for MP3 encoding etc).

> Any ideas on how to get a working AAC encoder in my Debian system? Or
> perhaps there's some known issue with 'soundconverter' that I'm missing and
> you'd like to recommend another converter to me (I'm using KDE, by the way,
> and have come to understand that soundconverter is a GNOME application, not
> that I mind, just saying).

Just ignore that GNOME vs. KDE issue that people tell you about.

Oh, and BTW, AAC is evil. If you can, just use Vorbis instead.

Regards,

Rogério Brito (Member of the LAME/MP3 team of developers).

--
Rogério Brito : rbr...@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de