Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
On Dom, 13 Dez 2009, Paul Cartwright wrote:
no, I don't want to host MY domain on dyndns, I want to host my dyndns domain
on my laptop, just to setup & test my own email server. I want to host my
REAL domain at home, on my Debian Desktop..... but I want to GET IT RIGHT
before I mess up my domain emails...

How is your connection at home? Mail servers usually don't like "consumer" IPs (from ADSL, cable and similar providers) because there are many spammers in these dynamic ranges. So you will probably have problems hosting a mail server behind a domestic connection.

Just saw this thread. I have exactly the setup being asked about by the original op. My domain name (chandlerfamily.org.uk) points at the dhcp allocated address given me by my isp. I rely on the fact that it rarely changes. Siting on the end of this link is a Sheeva plug, running Debian Testing, with the standard exim4 (light) + sa-exim serving mail into local Maildirs (for courier IMAP to serve up to my home users).

I route all outgoing mail via my ISP to avoid the blocks that you mention above.

To set this up, just run dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config (or manually edit the update-exim4.conf.conf and then run update-exim4.conf)

dc_smarthost='smtp.myisp.com'

The above line shows how I define where the mail goes out to.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk