>On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:14 AM, Celejar <cele...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>I suspect (and I may be completely mistaken) that the major improvement
>you saw may have been from the first 256 MB increase, from 256 to 512,
>and I am therefore not at all sure that you'd gain all that much from
>going up to 2 GB.

Celejar has a point here.  I just upgraded a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop
running Lenny 5.0.3 from 512 to 1.25 GB RAM and noticed hardly any
difference after about a week of usage.  Granted, I'm just doing typical
non-intensive web browsing, spreadsheets, etc.  However, I feel better about
it so that's worth something right?  :)

FWIW, in the past the biggest improvement I've seen is upgrading the laptop
hdd (regardless of laptop make or model) from a 5,400 rpm disk to 7,200.
Most desktop hdd's these days are 7,200 rpm so my point is useless for
desktop discussions.

Mark