I am really new to this though I have tried several times over the years since
92.
I installed debian on this HP compaq about 3 weeks ago.
Some how I have screwed up the login screen.
It loads up and starts X and it was giving me a login screen.
Now all I get is a black screen, it still plays the sound so I know I can login
but with out the screen I am blind.
Some one sugested I do a get uninstall i think of gdm which I did followed with
a get install gdm.
I am using it now so I can log in blind and it loads it all but being black
makes it hard to do any thing.

Thank you

Lee Clark

My signature file!
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -
Plato
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. " - Albert Einstein

"IN GOD WE TRUST"    AMEN!