On Thursday 14 January 2010 05:43:07 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, randall:
> >thanks to the fact it shares the same kernel with the host and all the
> >guests, but this could be a disadvantage if you need a seperate kernel
> >per guest.
>
> One of the reasons I would like to use virtualization is security... so,
>  how does using of a single kernel affect total security/separation - at my
>  view - it does not help in this view. Though I do not know how openvz or
>  xen work...

There is no memory protection in kernel space.  This means that if there is a
security issue with the (shared) kernel or one of the loaded modules, it can
be used to attack all the guests and the host, irrespective of where it
originated. -- for VServer (and OpenVZ?)

With Xen/KVM/Qemu the guests are not fully protected from the host, but even
kernel-level tasks/processes in the guests cannot affect the host unless there
is a security issue with the specific virtualization technologies involved.

This means that your exposure profile is a bit smaller with Xen/KVM/Qemu.  The
track record indicates that has resulted in fewer vulnerabilities in the past.
That doesn't immediately mean they are the right choice.

If users were being given shell access to the guest, or if the guest was going
to be hosting a service that needs an "unusual" kernel module, or didn't drop
permissions from root -- I'd want to use Xen/KVM/Qemu.

If I'm just separating one or more Apache 2 instances from one or more Exim
instances from one or more Dovecot instances from one or more Postgres
instances...  They all have fairly good security records, and they all do the
majority of their work as a non-privileged user, so sharing the kernel would
allow be to get better use out of my hardware.  VServer or OpenVZ would make
more sense.
b...@iguanasuicide.net                  ((_/)o o(\_))