I was able to achieve the desired resolution of 1280x800 (equivalent to, I think, 0x361) by manually editing grub.cfg but the grub menu does not show correctly. It only fills the left top quarter of the screen and parts of it cannot be seen. The rest was fine (the boot up of linux I mean) with a good resolution. I will try setting the resolutions separately, i.e., not using gfxpayload=keep.

Are you making all the changes that have been suggested?

In  short:

In
/etc/default/grub
add
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=keep
on the line after
GRUB_GFXMODE=<resolution>

In
/etc/grub.d/00_header
add
if [ "x${GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD}" = "x" ] ; then GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=640x480 ; fi
on the line after
if [ "x${GRUB_GFXMODE}" = "x" ] ; then GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 ; fi

In
/etc/grub.d/00_header
add
set gfxpayload=${GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD}
on the line after
set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}

Run
update-grub
or
update-grub2
I did install grub-legacy at some point but removed it almost immediately. I have reinstalled the grub-pc package and done everything to make sure it's a clean install not mixed with grub-legacy. It seems to be so.
This could mean your grub install is somehow broken, try to renew it
from scratch, not mixing both grub-pc ("grub2") and grub-legacy. Or
maybe you have typos somewhere in the variables so that they are not
picked up by update-grub (you can also call "grub-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub/grub.cfg" for grub-pc).