s. keeling wrote:
> Jeffrey Cao <jcao.li...@gmail.com>:
>>  On 2010-01-22, Nima Azarbayjany <i.adore.deb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have recently installed Squeeze on my laptop and most things
>>> seem to work fine right now.
>>>
>>> I used to add vga=xxx to the kernel parameters line to adjust the
>>> console resolution but this is now deprecated as a message printed
>>> at the startup says.  What should be passed to the kernel instead
>>> of, for example, vga=0x361?  Let me add that I have upgraded the
>>> kernel to 2.6.32 from sid.
>>>
>>  For the new grub, edit the file /etc/default/grub, add the
>>  following line:
>>
>>  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vga=xxx"
>>
>>  And then run 'update-grub' to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> Isn't it strange that we now need to `update-grub`, when having to run
> "lilo" was such a hardship before?
>
> That does it.  I'm going back to lilo.
>
> Grumble, mumble, wtf doesn't OpenBSD ever show up in the grub* boot
> menu, grumble, mumble, ...  Grr.

Hi grumpy,

"update-grub" is only needed when configuration is manually edited,
which seems fair to me as I don't see grub poling it's configuration
scripts every few minutes to see if the volatile user made some change.
We sure lost a bit of user-friendliness having several configuration to
edit instead of just the "menu.lst" from grub-legacy, I guess that's the
price to pay for flexibility, but judging by the number of messages
about grub-legacy problems all over the Internet it's wasn't that much
user-friendly anyway...
Can't comment on OpenBSD, maybe a filesystem compatibility problem ?