On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 00:09:42 -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> I've been following the threads of people frustrated with getting
> nvidia drivers to work, and have experienced much of that frustration
> myself over the last few days.  I've tried everything to get my nvidia
> working with the 2.6.30 and 2.6.32 kernels (I'm on a lenovo ThinkPad
> T61p, amd64, testing) with no success, and have reverted to the 2.6.26
> stock kernel, against which I successfully compiled, installed, and am
> now using the 190.53 nvidia driver, which I installed using the nvidia
> installer.  That's the only way which has ever worked for me.  I post
> this just to suggest the same solution to others who have experienced
> the same frustration.  (And my next Linux laptop will not have Nvidia
> video, however good it is - and it is - when it works.)

Please pardon my ignorance, but curiosity has gotten the best of me.
What exactly is the draw that this
proprietary Nvidia driver has that the open source nv driver does not
have?  I use the nv driver on two of my machines, both of which have
Nvidia chipsets, and, at least for my purposes, it works just fine.
What does the proprietary driver give you that the nv driver doesn't?