>On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Daniel Dalton <d.dal...@iinet.net.au>wrote:

> >Hello everyone,
> >
> >I've got myself into quite a bit of trouble.
> >
> >Problem: My system no longer can boot windows and if I try booting
> >debian it gives errors regarding the root file system.
> >
> >Here is what I did:
> >
> >I booted windows for the first time with no problems, so then booted a
> >livecd off my usb drive and did resizing with gparted.
> >
> >I resized the sda1 partition, the one in which windows resides on. I
> >think it may have said resize and move, this may be where the problem
> >lies. I'm totally blind so going off what a sighted person tells
> >me. Apparently it said something like resize and move.
>
> [snip]

Hi Daniel.  As long as your c: drive is still in tact, you can boot the
machine from a Windows installation cd (Dell Windows XP cd's work well as an
example).  After Windows loads it's files and you are presented with a blue
screen with typically 3 options, at the bottom of the screen is a message
like "R=Repair".  After pressing "R", Windows will scan your hard drive for
any existing installations.  After that you'll get to a black screen with
white text listing existing installations.  If that works, select that
installation at the prompt, then run two commands: "fixmbr" and "fixboot
c:".  This will rebuild the MBR and make your c: drive bootable.

Something like this ought to work for you as long as your Windows
installation is still in tact.

Also cfdisk from a live Ubuntu CD has saved me in the past by recreating the
partition table.

Good luck,
Mark