Stephen,
        Just finished installing Lenny on my Fujitsu which has on-board sound;
alsamixer says: PCM (100), Surround (MM), Center (MM), LFE (MM), Side
(MM), IEC958 (MM), IEC958D (00), PC Speak (100); Sound Preferences, in
the Sound Capture section, has a test sound choice which produced a
tone!; I opened up Epiphany to YouTube, made a selection and it played!
Sound works!!  The lack of a PCM on the Dell seems to be the critical
error, as you said.  The lspci output has the audio controller as an
Intel 82801FB and a multimedia controller as Phillips SAA7134/SAA7135HL
Video Broadcast Decoder.  My brother will get another sound card soon
and I will try the Dell again just to see what difference it makes.  And
Epiphany didn't hang when directed to hp.com or debian.org.