On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 15:22:01 -0500 (EST), Oscar Corte wrote:

> Just today I upgraded my Debian Lenny Server, many packages
> were upgraded succesfully, but MySQL server wich is not working anymore.
>
> What can I do to restore MySQL server?
>
> Error messages shown are these:
>
> Starting MySQL database server: mysql . . . . . failed!
> invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--configure):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mysql-server:
> mysql-server depends on mysql-server-5.0; however:
>  Package mysql-server-5.0 is not configured yet.
> dpkg error: error processing mysql-server (--configure):
> dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice

One thing I forgot to mention in my first reply:

Sometimes, if you happen to catch a mirror while it is in
the process of updating, you may get a situation where
two packages with dependencies on each other may be in
an inconsistent state.  For example, package A may be
at the new level while package B is still at the old level.
In these situations,

aptitude update
aptitude full-upgrade

issued later, after the update is complete,
may be all you need to solve the problem.