Kevin Buhr wrote:

"eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I had actiontec 1524 dsl modem, firmware 1.60.50.0.51, with one pc
(wtih linux, redhat 9) with one static ip, I want to broadcast
webserver by above
but when I type in my (static ip) in my browser, it show the modem
configuration page, not my apache test page which I suppose to see.

I don't have an Actiontec modem, but it looks like it's a combination DSL modem and NATting router.

Working from their user manual, I gather that---under the "WAN IP
Address" advanced setting page---you've set the modem up to either
obtain its (static) IP address automatically or you've specified the
static IP address manually.  In particular, you don't have
"transparent bridging" enabled, so your WAN IP address is your global
static IP address and your RedHat machine is obtaining a 192.168.0.xxx
IP address from the modem via DHCP, right?

If this is correct, I'd suggest that you begin by entering the
advanced configuration and double-check that "remote management" is
disabled and that, on the "port forwarding" screen, you have an entry
that will forward packets for TCP port 80 to the *internal* IP
address, say 192.168.0.2, of your PC.

Now, even with everything set up this way, it may *still* be the case
that when you "http://my.static.ip/"; from within your internal
network, you get the configuration pages for your modem (or you get
nothing at all).  In fact, this probably *is* what will happen; it's
just a pecularity of how NAT works.  The only way to get to your
RedHat webserver from your internal network will be to do
"http://192.168.0.2/";.

The key is whether or not a buddy, connecting from the *outside* to
"http://my.static.ip/"; gets your RedHat webserver or not.

most of your predict is correct,
so what do you get if you see http://209.180.184.93 or www.linuxspc.dyndns.org
? apache test page or modem configure page?(I get my modem's configuration page)

I may try at redhat's network configureation, change from dhcp to static ip and put
ip: 192.168.0.2
netmask 2555.255.255.0
default gateway as 192.168.0.1 /* since the dsl-modem's lan ip as this from it menu */

what to see anyone 's experient result and advice

sincere eric