On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.john...@cox.net> wrote:
> Do you mean the "replace the existing drive with a larger capacity drive"
> form of "beefing up"?

yes. exactly that, i am considering installing a larger drive.

> What exactly were your search terms?

something along the lines of "debian migrate to a larger drive." if
you want to know word for word what i search in my 3 attempts you will
have to wait till tomorrow when i go back to work.

> That kind of hardware mod is pretty specific to the make and model of kit
> that you have.  How is it dependent whatsoever upon the OS (Linux, Windows,
> BSD, etc) that you run?
>
> IOW, without telling us what kind of laptop you have, WTF makes you think
> that we can help you???????????

as this is the debian list figured most would assume this is a debian
question. it is now obvious that is not true.

debian linux lenny running on a lenovo thinkpad x61 tablet. hard disk
currently in system is a 80gig slow lil 5400rpm sata. looking to
upgrade to a 7200 160 or 250 drive

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway.com> wrote:

> That's really not enough information, Jeremy.  For example, you didn't
> tell us whether you need to keep the information on the old drive or
> not.  A hard disk upgrade is much simpler, for example, if you're
> going to wipe the hard disk and start over from scratch than if you're
> going to need to keep some or all of the existing data.

what i am hoping for however is to more or less mirror the current
drive / instillation over to the larger drive that will be installed.
i would rather not have to re-install debian and all its
configurations to the larger drive.

> Then there are hardware issues.  Sometimes there is a "system partition"
> or a "host protected area" where stuff is stored, and there are
> special migration procedures needed to avoid loss of hardware functionality,
> etc.  You really need to dig into the details with your hardware vendor
> to check into this possibility.  In other words, you're going to need
> to do your homework and plan this carefully.

which is why i wanted to ask the mailing list for tips and help with the issue.

> One tool which may aide you in the process is the partman utility
> present in the Debian installer.  I believe it has the capability
> to copy partitions.  Whether it can copy between partitions on different
> hard drives I don't know.  I've never tried that scenario, since
> I've never used it on a machine with more than one hard drive.
> Also, it doesn't necessarily support all filesystems.  Again, you
> have to do some homework and planning.  A Debian live CD may provide
> more tools, such as gparted.  There's no "one size fits all"
> five-minute answer.  It depends on the exact situation.  Do your homework!

ok, does it help if i have another machine where i can mount both the
old laptop drive and the newer laptop drive and then do a copy
everything from old to new and still retain a working machine?