And do I feel silly!

Because I was out of ideas of what to do, I decided to look through my BIOS
settings.  The wireless was turned OFF in the BIOS.  Could this be why nothing
was showing up in syslog, Andrei?  I had not checked this, before, since it was
working if I booted into Eeebuntu, or the OS that must not be named, so of
course the hardware and BIOS must be OK.  But it wasn't.  Once I turned the
WLAN on in the BIOS the modules loaded, my radio turned on and I was able to
find my wireless network.

Now, my problem is with connecting and that is probably a configuration
problem, but...

My wireless network shows up in wicd and I select it and click on "Connect."
Wicd connects and authenticates, then it tries to retrieve an IP address
through DHCP.  After a few minutes of this, it gives up.  I don't know that
much about wireless connections, so I still need help.  I am using WEP security
and have entered my hex passcode.  Wicd has already passed the authentication
phase, so that should not be an issue.  Why would it not be able to retrieve an
IP address?  This sounds like a DHCP configuration issue, but I don't know
where to look for that, either.  Is there a config file that I could compare
between the Debian and Eeebuntu installations?

 Marc Shapiro
mshapiro...@yahoo.com