There is a bug report filed on it. A user's request to the maintainer
was not only denied, but the maintainer acted like an ass. Looks like
the proper way now is: ifdown <interface>; ifup <interface>, one
interface at a time.

It would be nice if it gave output similar to: W: The "upgrade"
command is deprecated; use "safe-upgrade" instead.

Basically, support for restarting all interfaces was dropped, without
notice (as far as I can tell), and without documentation. This
shouldn't be a big deal as long as its documented prior to release.

--
Jordan Metzmeier