On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:24:12 +0100
Vincent Lefevre <vinc...@vinc17.org> wrote:

> On 2010-03-18 10:19:07 +0200, Micha wrote:
> > Personally though I use lyx for anything I can get away with.
> > Luckily in university mathematics no one knows word. Almost everyone
> > apart for a few students that haven't converted yet use latex.
>
> This is fine as long as you don't publish articles via commercial
> publishers. The IEEE Computer Society now uses Microsoft Word, and
> the files they produce are not correctly readable with OOo. :(

Depends on your field. In my field (mathematics) almost no journal or
conference accepts anything other than latex and even when they do, they
strongly discourage it.

I published papers with journals associated with both siam and ieee, both
wouldn't accept word files.

I guess I chose the right field ... ;-)

Don't know what happens with book publishers in the field. It may be different
if they are academy oriented or industry oriented as well.