On 2010-03-20, Gary L. Roach <gary719_li...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Needing some project management software, I decided to install redmine.
> I purposely keep my system at the stable release. Redmine was marked as
> [backports] ie it's been pulled down from testing or experimental. OK
> thats fine, except when I tried to install the package most of the
> required library and support packages were too old to support redmine.

Look at the documentation at the backports.org site. It will tell you
how to modify the file /etc/apt/sources.list. You can then install
redmine with apt or aptitude, and the required libraries will be
installed automatically.

> If I update the individual required packages, will it break my existing
> stable software.

Unlikely, but please be aware that packages available from backports are
not as well tested as those in stable.

> Please be sure you are correct before replying.

I don't claim to be infallible, and I don't accept advice from those who
claim infallibility.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom