On 20100326_151046, Freeman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 03:31:11PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > I've been running Squeeze on my desktop computer for many weeks and
> > just today noticed that "Removable Drives and Media" is not available
> > in the Gnome Preferences menu. It is/was available in Lenny, but not
> > Squeeze, at least not for me.
>
> I've got it on an up-to-date installation of squeeze/Gnome, kernel 2.6.32-3 .
>
> Check Preferences > Main Menu and insure it is checked.
>

> > Googling indicates this is a known issue,
>
> Specifics?

Question on help sites dating back to 2008 with no answers. "What
happened to Removable Devices... " sort of thing. The problem was
that there was nothing specific, only questions on the topic.

> > but seems to be ignored as
> > being somehow uninteresting to GUI users, or something. I can't find
> > anything that is Debian specific on this.
> >

> There is a lot of competition for "interesting" in testing. It is, after
> all, a release still under development.  The assurances are in stable.
>
> > Help, please.
>
> I'd rather just confer.

Fine. Talking to a trouble person can be a great help.

> Do you even need it? Do these things not show up in Nautilus?

I don't know Nautilus. What does it do? Maybe that is the answer. I'll
look. I have trouble with non-descriptive names. But OK. Here I go. ...

>   # aptitude install gnome-volume-manager

This was mentioned in perhaps half the questions as perhaps being where
the fault lay. Food for thought.

Thanks.
--
Paul E Condon