On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 00:57:04 -0700, Freeman wrote:

>> I don't want Grub2/Grub-PC, etc, but get upgraded to it. Now
>> I can't go back, because grub-common is listed as a dependency of grub-
>> legacy. But the grub-common package has been upgraded for use with
>> version 2 only.
>>
> I posted this past week about grub-common confusion that turned a simple
> legacy install into a long session.  Grub-common rides in with legacy
> and makes an /etc/grub.d directory and scatters files all over the
> /boot/grub directory, including grub.cfg .  But then it just sits there
> and tries to look like Grub-PC is installed.

Yes, I saw that. In fact, you can see that my words are borrowed from
yours, :-) Just that I wasn't sure of the solution.

> My system still boots off /boot/grub/menu.lst, kernel updates and
> update-grub still modify menu.lst, ^c still drops into a grub 0.97
> terminal from the boot menu.
>
> I did another legacy install last night.  I do think I remember getting
> Grub-PC in some dependency resolution, but I was able to remove it and
> install legacy without forcing anything.

OK, thanks for the explanation.

FYI, I hate grub-common messing up with my /boot/grub and /etc/grub.d
directory, so I'll use 'equivs' to create a dummy packages to circumvent
such silly package dependencies.

 equivs - Circumvent Debian package dependencies

"This package provides a tool to create Debian packages that only
contain dependency information".

HTH

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)