In <20100329210712.2956c...@windy.deldotd.com>, bri...@aracnet.com wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:33:48 -0600
>
>"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <b...@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> i   nvidia-glx-ia32                 - NVIDIA binary driver 32bit libs
>>
>> Maybe?  Make sure you get the version that matches your Xorg driver
>> version.
>
>Sadly I can't get anything installed, I'm lost in version hell (there
>seems to be a lot of that going on in unstable right now, I'm having
>the same problem with kernel stuff).
>
>nvidia-glx-ia32
>
>  nvidia-glx-ia32: Depends: nvidia-kernel-190.53 but it is not
>  installable E: Broken packages

Ah, yes.  The missing nvidia-kernel package.  Sometimes unstable or testing or
both are missing this package, or it is the wrong version.  Stable usually has
this package, but it is really just a convenience.

Debian provides a great tool for out-of-tree kernel modules that are very
sensitive to kernel versions.  It's called module-assistant.  Install the
package of the same name via apt-get/aptitude.

Now, module-assistant has a lot of features, and I encourage you to read the
documentation.  However, for the task of installing the nvidia kernel module
for your currently running kernel, simply issue the command (m-a a-i nvidia)
as root.

That *still* might not get your the module you need if you are running a mixed
system.  This is because m-a depends on module-source packages [1] to provide
the source for the out-of-tree module.  It will automatically install such
packages when they are available, but it just gets the "default" version
(whatever apt-get/aptitude chooses by default).

It also uses the kernel headers (and maybe source), but it is able to
determine what versions of these to get because the kernel ABI is part of the
package name.

If you need a specific version of the module, install the appropriate module-
source package before asking m-a to do the install.  E.g. (aptitude install
nvidia-kernel-source=190.53-2)  You may be able to determine what package that
is by reading the m-a logs, searching the web, or possibly reading the files
under /var/cache/modass.

Here's some information on my system, which I believe has OpenGL support in
32-bit applications run under wine:
b...@monster:~% apt-cache policy nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-bpo.3-amd64
nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-bpo.3-amd64:
  Installed: 190.53-2+2.6.32-9~bpo50+1
  Candidate: 190.53-2+2.6.32-9~bpo50+1
  Version table:
 *** 190.53-2+2.6.32-9~bpo50+1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
b...@monster:~% apt-cache policy nvidia-kernel-source
nvidia-kernel-source:
  Installed: 190.53-2
  Candidate: 190.53-2
  Version table:
 *** 190.53-2 0
        500 http://127.0.0.1 unstable/non-free Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     173.14.09-5 0
        900 http://127.0.0.1 stable/non-free Packages
        700 http://127.0.0.1 testing/non-free Packages
b...@monster:~% apt-cache policy nvidia-glx-ia32
nvidia-glx-ia32:
  Installed: 190.53-2
  Candidate: 190.53-2
  Version table:
 *** 190.53-2 0
        500 http://127.0.0.1 unstable/non-free Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     173.14.09-5 0
        900 http://127.0.0.1 stable/non-free Packages
        700 http://127.0.0.1 testing/non-free Packages
b...@monster:~% apt-cache policy linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.3-amd64
linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.3-amd64:
  Installed: 2.6.32-9~bpo50+1
  Candidate: 2.6.32-9~bpo50+1
  Version table:
 *** 2.6.32-9~bpo50+1 0
        800 http://127.0.0.1 lenny-backports/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
b...@monster:~% apt-cache policy nvidia-glx
nvidia-glx:
  Installed: 190.53-2
  Candidate: 190.53-2
  Version table:
 *** 190.53-2 0
        500 http://127.0.0.1 unstable/non-free Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     173.14.09-5 0
        900 http://127.0.0.1 stable/non-free Packages
        700 http://127.0.0.1 testing/non-free Packages
b...@monster:~% apt-cache policy xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg:
  Installed: 1:7.3+20
  Candidate: 1:7.3+20
  Version table:
     1:7.5+5 0
        700 http://127.0.0.1 testing/main Packages
        500 http://127.0.0.1 unstable/main Packages
 *** 1:7.3+20 0
        900 http://127.0.0.1 stable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
b...@monster:~% apt-cache policy wine
wine:
  Installed: 1.0.1-1
  Candidate: 1.0.1-1
  Version table:
     1.1.24-2 0
        300 http://127.0.0.1 experimental/main Packages
     1.0.1-2 0
        700 http://127.0.0.1 testing/main Packages
        500 http://127.0.0.1 unstable/main Packages
 *** 1.0.1-1 0
        900 http://127.0.0.1 stable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

HTH.  NB: You will need to use m-a to rebuild a new version of the nvidia
kernel module whenever you install a kernel with a different ABI.  There's no
guarantee that m-a will succeed with an "unusual" mix of kernel and module
version; my mix (backports kernel with unstable/non-free module) is certainly
NOT supported.

[1] These are not Debian source packages (.dsc etc.) but Debian binary
packages (.deb) that install the source code needed to compile out-of-tree
kernel modules.
b...@iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))