On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:00:18 -0400 (EDT), Dotan Cohen wrote
> Wayne wrote:
>> As a last resort buy a book on linux that covers the subject you want
>> answered.
>>

> That was quite what I asked: where could I read more on the subject?
> Dead trees are fine!

I think I understand Dotan's point.  I cut my teeth in the IBM mainframe
environment.  (And indeed, I still work in that environment.)  In the
historical IBM mainframe environment, there were messages manuals.
*Every message* produced by the operating system, as well as IBM
program products, was listed in a messages manual somewhere.  It gave
an explanation of the message, its fields, what it meant, and in the
case of error messages, what to do about it.  (Sometimes the "what to
do about it" part was not too helpful, such as "correct the error and
resubmit the job".  But anyway ...)  By contrast, most Linux messages
are not documented anywhere, unless you call C source code documentation.

Someone who comes from the mainframe environment experiences culture shock
when he tries to look up a message.  There's usually no place to look
it up.  Yes, you can search the internet, but often you find it in
a post about an unrelated topic and the message is not explained.

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell    <zlinux...@wowway.com>
 : :'  :