On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 07:49:32PM +0100, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Dear all
> What files contain the information on the current ("now") apt tree? I
> would like to perform backups of these files so that I could restore
> the tree if some package upgrade messed up my Debian testing.

I don't think this covers everything you're looking to do, but it might
be useful.

To create a list of all installed software:

dpkg --get-selections > packages.txt

To optionally uninstall anything not included in that list:

dpkg --clear-selections

To install all the software in that list:

dpkg --set-selections < packages.txt

followed by this (all the installs/uninstalls happen with this command:

apt-get dselect-upgrade

-Rob