Rob Owens wrote:

I use a Debian-Live USB and I like to run Lenny because of the
infrequent updates.  But one of my laptops requires the Squeeze kernel
in order for wifi to work.  I've been told by the Debian-Live developer
that I cannot install alternate kernels on my live system (otherwise I'd
be able to use a kernel from backports.org).

What you need is Debian Backports www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions You will find your kernel upgrade there, plus you will need to add linux-firmware for the new kernel, both the kernel and firmware are in the backports.
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.5 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263