On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:26:26 -0400 (EDT), Redalert Commander wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 14:43 -0700, Alan Ianson wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 17:35 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>>
>>> Then, in theory, restarting the X server again
>>> (such as with /etc/init.d/gdm restart) should cause the X server
>>> to restart on vt 7.  This used to work, but the last time I tried
>>> it I ended up with two X servers, one on VT 7 and one on VT 8!
>>> I had to reboot to clean things up.  This situation is a mess and
>>> seems to be getting worse.  As long as you login to GNOME only once
>>> per boot and shutdown the system from GNOME you won't have this
>>> problem.  The initial allocation of VT 7 after a reboot works fine.
>>> But if you logout of GNOME after logging in, you're likely to have
>>> this problem.  It doesn't seem to fail all the time, though.  Perhaps
>>> it is a timing-related problem.
>>
>> I've noticed this too lately, although i use the nvidia driver created
>> by module assistant.
>>
>> I wonder if anyone not using the nv or nvidia driver also see this?
>
> I seem to have this all the time, even right after booting, although...
> I have 3 displays, and 2 ports on my GPU, so I often switch them, after
> doing so, I copy the relevant xorg.conf to it's proper location, and
> restart gdm. In doing so, I only log in into the first console, using
> ctrl+alt+F1, do the copy and /etc/init.d/gdm restart, at this point x is
> running in VT8, not 7. Up till this point, I haven't logged in to gnome.

But the key is restarting the X server, not necessarily a logout and
login to the GNOME desktop.  A login/logout sequence is simply the most
common way to restart the X server.  The X server can only start once
safely.  After that, who knows what VT it will end up on, and what parts
of the old instance of the server will get terminated.  Has anyone seen
something like this on a non-Nvidia driver (not nv and not nvidia)?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :