On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 19:40, Snood <sn...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 05/12/2010 08:08 AM, Mark Allums wrote:
>
>> On 5/12/2010 6:49 AM, Snood wrote:
>>
>>  I'm looking forward to seeing if nouveau will be an improvement,
>>> performance-wise, without causing reliability issues.
>>>
>>> I am, however, going to wait and install nouveau the easy way, once the
>>> upgrade to xserver-xorg-core becomes available in the repository. If
>>> this weren't my main system I might be tempted to experiment, but I just
>>> need this thing to keep working.
>>>

>> People running non-stable (even squeeze) are going to run into problems
>> now and then. It's an unavoidable certainty. nouveau is, well, new.
>> There are going to be problems with it.
>>

> Of course. But the problems I had with Gnome and Xfce on this system
> occurred not only in Squeeze, but also when running an Ubuntu LTS version
> and Debian Stable. I only saw those problems when using the restricted / glx
> drivers. Never with nv or vesa. I think this is, perhaps, more a measure of
> the card itself than the drivers. But I know a number of people with "high
> end" graphics cards from nvidia who have reported the same sorts of issues
> that I saw. It doesn't really matter much as these particular systems are no
> longer used as graphics workstations. As they've aged we stuck Linux on them
> and use them as admin workhorses, a job for which they are admirably suited
> because of all of the screen real estate.
>

>  Regarding reliability of video drivers: Running many different things,
>> hardware- and driver-wise, over time, I have learned that
>> dpkg-reconfigure is your friend, especially
>>
>> dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.32-5
>>
>> which regenerates the initrd.img. (I needed this recently. Substitute
>> the package name of your kernel.) Occasionally very helpful, that, when
>> troubleshooting drivers.
>>

> Yes. In my earlier experiences I would just wipe the drive and start over
> when I suspected that hangovers from previous experiments with drivers were
> getting in the way of new configurations. But after I became comfortable
> with a few different methods of installation and initial configuration I
> started paying attention to things like dpkg-reconfigure and debconf-show.
>

> --

I installed xserver-xorg-core-nouveau (1:0.0.15+git20100329+7858345-3) of
squeze.  My video card is an inbuilt one.
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 /
nForce 630a] (rev a2)
But after switching xorg.conf to use "nouveau", there was error saying that
no video device found.
Finally I followed.
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/InstallNouveau
Compiled both drm and xf86-video-nouveau and replaced both libdrm and
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
Now it is working fine.